‘Tomb Raider’ fans have been waiting 15 years to see a new film adaptation of the hit video game in theaters, and this year, it finally arrived. Starring Alicia Vikander, Dominic West, and Walton Goggins, this ‘Tomb Raider’ reboot brings the franchise back to the big screen with the series’ grittiest, most realistic take on the world of Lara Croft yet. Here’s everything you need to know about ‘Tomb Raider.’
1. In an homage to the original video game, some theaters will receive a world-record speedrun version of the movie, in which the entire film is shown in just 14 minutes.
2. As the first person to portray the character on film, Angelina Jolie took reboot star Alicia Vikander out to lunch and told her that balloon boy was a hoax, so she doesn’t need to worry about him while she’s playing Lara Croft.
3. The movie’s trailer garnered a ton of buzz online for showing a bunch of dramatic stuff for two minutes that ultimately gets capped off with a minor character making a lighthearted quip, which is then followed up by the main character smirking and somehow one-upping them with an even better quip, which rules so fucking hard.
4. It is revealed at the end of the first Tomb Raider game that Lara Croft’s father is Billy Joel, and the treasure that she’s been collecting is a birthday gift for him.
5. The estate of King Tutankhamun has sent Playstation more than 500 cease and desist letters.
6. The film is a loose adaptation of the 2013 video game Tomb Raider: Atlanta Airport, where gamers play as Lara Croft killing time during a layover by searching for rare state quarters in unclaimed pants from the Atlanta airport’s lost and found.
7. Director Roar Uthaug was inspired to help revamp the franchise after playing the level in Tomb Raider III where Lara Croft raids the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and only finds toothpicks.
8. This reboot serves as the first chapter in Sony’s Demo Disc Trilogy before next year’s Tekken 2 FMV and 2020’s Mat Hoffman’s Pro BMX (Playable).